Breaking (Sydney, Australia): Muslim leaders to speak publicly about terror attack and raids as protest groups plan to rally


PARRAMATTA Mosque chairman Neil El-Kadomi will deliver a blunt message to hundreds of congregants in his first sermon since last week’s fatal terror attack.

The unassuming prayer hall fell into focus this week when it was revealed to have hosted teen terrorist Farhad Jabar before he murdered police worker Curtis Cheng.

Today, the mosque’s leader will deliver a message of intolerance, saying he will “not tolerate anyone who wants to get us into trouble”.

In an interview with Fairfax Media, Mr Kadomi said he would tell worshippers: “If you don’t like Australia, leave it.”

Mr Kadomi said Mr Cheng’s murder, committed by a boy who frequented the mosque was a “real wake-up call”, prompting him to warn visitors to the mosque if they have crime in mind the police will be told.

He did however reject expectation that the mosque should be policing potential terrorists.

“If somebody walks into McDonald’s and shoots everyone, is McDonald’s blamed?,” he asked.

Liz Burke and AAP: news.com.au

 

Farhad Jabar worshipped at the Parramatta Mosque before killing Curtis Cheng.

Farhad Jabar worshipped at the Parramatta Mosque before killing Curtis Cheng

Source:News Corp Australia

The chairman of the Parramatta Mosque Neil El-Kadomi is expected to make it clear he won’t tolerate terrorism.Source:News Corp Australia

Mr Kodami’s blunt warning will follow an appeal from Muslim leaders this morning, in which Grand Mufti Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed spoke alongside other community and religious leaders saying violent extremism was a rare but serious problem facing the entire community.

“Sadly, a very, very small number of Australians of Muslim faith have chosen this path,” Dr Mohamed said in a statement on Friday.

Speaking through a translator, Dr Mohamed called for “proper communication between the families and the community and us” as well as security agencies and police.

Addressing those who supported Jabar’s act of violence, Dr Mohamed said “stop messing with Australia and its society”.

“We refuse and reject any form of terrorist activities, whether this — if it’s proven to be a terrorist act — or any other.”

Protesters are expected to rally outside the Parramatta apartment building ignoring police calls for calm.

Anti-Muslim protesters, headed by Party For Freedom representative Nick Folkes, have been called to gather at the mosque to “demand Parramatta Mosque be shut down until the mosque publicly rejects terrorism and sharia law”.

Fewer than 100 protesters have signed up to attend the “Bulldoze the Mosque Rally”.

As well as shutting down the mosque, the group will argue “the high maintenance Islamic community needs constant monitoring to prevent further terrorist attacks”, and suggest proposals to accept Muslim refugees from Syria will results in “extra strain on our police, welfare and prison systems”.

The group is planning to proceed with the protest which is expected to attract significant police presence despite NSW police disapproval of the protest.

Promotion for the anti-Muslim rally has attracted attention, but only 100 people have signed up to attend. Picture: Party For Freedom

Promotion for the anti-Muslim rally has attracted attention, but only 100 people have signed up to attend. Picture: Party For Freedom

“Police want to remind any member of the public against engaging in reprisal actions or inciting violence against any community group or individual,”

a NSW police spokeswoman told news.com.au.

“Anyone engaging in this type of unlawful behaviour can be charged and prosecuted.”

The spokeswoman told news.com.au acts of violence “will not be tolerated” and any such acts at this afternoon’s planned protest “will be treated as the serious offence it is”.

“Equally the rights of citizens to hold peaceful assemblies are balanced with other rights including the undertaking of lawful business activities, and the safety and security of the broader community,” she said.

Further protests are planned over the weekend, hosted by other nationalist groups including The Australian Defence League.

Organisers of each protests have not responded to news.com.au’s attempts to contact them.

A counter-rally has also been organised, with more than 300 registered to gather outside the mosque to “oppose fascist calls to shut Parramatta Mosque”.

Organiser Omar Hassan told news.com.au the “community gathering” was planned yesterday after word was spread of the Party for Freedom protest.

Mr Hassan said he was confident the “show of support” would proceed peacefully, and was not concerned about building further unrest around the mosque.

“We feel that there is already far too much of a spotlight being put on the Muslim community,” he said.

“We are simply there to show our support during this difficult time.”

 Final moments of gunman Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar0:40

15 yearold gunman Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar’s final moments outside of the Parramatta Police Headquarters.

Courtesy Seven News

Channel 7 video frame grabs of the moment Parramatta shooter 15-year-old Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar started firing a gun in front of Parramatta police station.

Channel 7 video frame grabs of the moment Parramatta shooter 15-year-old Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar started firing a gun in front of Parramatta police station.Source:Channel 7

Teenager Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar murdered Curtis Cheng. Picture: AAP/Instagram

Teenager Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar murdered Curtis Cheng. Picture: AAP/InstagramSource:AAP

The public appeals and expected protests follow the killing of NSW police accountant Curtis Cheng and subsequent raids on members of the community.

Muslim leaders will speak about the murder of Curtis Cheng (left). Picture: AAP

Muslim leaders will speak about the murder of Curtis Cheng (left). Picture: AAPSource:AAP

The public appeals and expected protests follow the killing of NSW police accountant Curtis Cheng and subsequent raids on members of the community.

Raban Alou, 18, is still in custody after Wednesday’s raids, in which 200 officers stormed several homes in response to the shooting of the 58-year-old accountant outside police headquarters in Parramatta, arresting five.

He can be held for another four days after investigators applied in court to increase the length of time he can be detained.

A 16-year-old, who can’t be named, was released on Wednesday night without charge.

Both teenagers were students at Arthur Phillip High School, where radicalised 15-year-old killer Farhad Jabar also attended.

Mustafa Dirani, 22, also a former student of the school, and Talal Alameddine, 22, were released earlier on Wednesday, also without charge.

A 17-year-old charged on Tuesday with assaulting police after allegedly supporting the killing in social media posts was in the same year as Jabar at Arthur Phillip High.

Some of those arrested had attended the same Parramatta mosque where Jabar spent time last Friday before the fatal shooting. At least three of the four were targeted last September in the nation’s largest counterterrorism operation.

As well as examining how Jabar came to be radicalised, police are also investigating how he ended up with the .38 calibre revolver he used to kill Mr Cheng. It has been suggested he was given the gun during a visit to the mosque.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s